Wednesday 17 November 2010

If all else fails - don't read the manual!

I admit that I often don't read manuals - at least not until I'm totally confused - and sometimes that's quite quickly - especially if I'm trying to build something like a piece of flat packed furniture. But sometimes "instructions" are just so wonderful. Friends James and Dana gave me a mug at the weekend with "I (heart) Spreadsheets" on the front and on the box there were "instructions" (I kid you not).

The "Instructions for use" read "Fill up mug with beverage of choice. Drink"

I'm so glad they did that otherwise I would have never worked it out!

Reminds me of when I got stuck in USA (thanks to plane delays) with no luggage - so I ended up going to the local shopping mall in Philadelphia to buy some pants - and the pack had instructions for use on them! It said, "place left foot through garment, then put right foot through, pull over knees, up to waist. Stand with hands on hips and feel good"! No joke - it really did.

And I followed the instructions to the letter - but it didn't work. You see it never said "Remove trousers..." first - so I ended up looking like Superman but with boxers on!

And the lesson here - sometimes common sense is more valuable than written instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment